Guwahati: Assam and Meghalaya on Saturday, August 22, agreed on a series of measures to restore normalcy and ensure the safe movement of tourists, passengers and vehicles following the violence reported in Shillong on August 19.
The decisions were taken during a joint meeting at the Koinadhara State Guest House in Guwahati, chaired by Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Dr Sniawbhalang Dhar and Assam Minister Atul Bora. Senior officials from both states participated in the meeting, which continued for more than three hours.
The Meghalaya government expressed regret over the August 19 incidents and assured Assam that those responsible would face legal action. Dhar said a special team had been formed to identify people involved in the violence and that 15 FIRs had been registered so far.
Bora said three KSU leaders, including the organisationโs president and secretary, had been arrested in connection with the violence. He added that five people allegedly involved in attacks on Assam-registered vehicles had also been identified.
The meeting placed particular emphasis on bringing back Assam-registered vehicles and passengers who remained stranded in Meghalaya. According to the Meghalaya government, more than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles have already been escorted safely into Assam.
The Assam Control Room received 54 distress calls involving 175 people, including passengers travelling in 22 private vehicles and five tourist vehicles. Meghalayaโs Control Room, meanwhile, received 379 distress calls from people seeking assistance with safe movement.
The two governments agreed to escort passengers and vehicles still stranded in Meghalaya to Assam within the next 48 hours. A dedicated exercise will also be carried out to assist tourists and vehicle operators who wish to return to Assam.
Bora said Meghalaya would provide security escorts for Assam-registered vehicles travelling through the state. The Meghalaya government also said it would take responsibility for the safety of tourists and vehicles from Assam and other parts of the country while they are travelling or staying in Meghalaya.
The governments also agreed to establish a permanent mechanism to deal with recurring issues along the inter-state border. The proposed committee will include administrative officials, police personnel and local representatives from both states.
A separate coordination mechanism involving the Inspector General of Special Branch, Assam, and the Inspector General of Law and Order, Meghalaya, will also be put in place. Dedicated helplines and an online support system will be activated to locate stranded people and coordinate their evacuation.
The coordination arrangements will remain operational until the situation returns to normal.
At the district level, joint committees involving the Deputy Commissioner of Nongpoh and the District Commissioner of Kamrup Metropolitan, along with police officials from both sides, will be formed to address day-to-day issues along the border.
The states will also constitute a joint committee comprising transport officials and representatives of tourist vehicle associations. The panel will coordinate and regulate tourist vehicle movement while working to protect the shared tourism interests of Assam and Meghalaya.
Both governments agreed to facilitate safe movement for vehicles travelling between different parts of Assam through Meghalaya, including those connecting the Barak Valley with other parts of Assam. Similar arrangements will be made for people travelling between different parts of Meghalaya through Assam.
The two governments also appealed to organisations involved in the ongoing protests to withdraw their agitations and cooperate with efforts to restore peace and uninterrupted movement between the neighbouring states.
